Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mindfulness is a hot topic


There is much to do at the beginning of the school year, it is easy to forget that the children too have much to do. They have to get used to new materials, new routines, new teachers, new organizational systems, new expectations... We are fortunate in our school. e.p.i.c. School is a small school and for young children, familiar faces, small spaces, small numbers and a family like environment all contribute towards making our students feel secure in their learning environment.

Children need to feel secure and comfortable in their learning environment in order to learn best. We all know this. Children who are scared, hungry, tired, or angry are simply not in the best position for optimal learning. This year, we decided to implement parts of a program called 'How does your engine run?' The reason for initiating the program was to help students who were experiencing some challenges, but also because we realized it could benefit everyone if we could support our students in learning to be more self-aware. Aware that when they are sad or upset there are tools they can use to calm themselves down, and that when they are worried or anxious, there are other tools that allow them to help themselves. Three year old children are just learning how to identify their feelings. Imagine how powerful it could be for them to realize that they have the power to manage their feelings. The concepts are challenging for any 3 year-old, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes they are challenging for adults. But the idea that the whole school is using the same vocabulary "hmmm, you seem to be having a hard time sitting on that chair, it looks to me like your engine is running really fast" might support mentoring and greater understanding. (The sentence might finish with... "I wonder if it would help you to try that while standing." - providing the strategy.)
 
I liked the idea, but when it came time to put it into practice with my senior students, it seemed to be missing something; it seemed a bit too one-dimensional. I felt the need for more than just our engines running fast, slow or just right (necessary for optimal learning) and some guesswork at figuring out what works best for each child. A class parent casually mentioned the 'MindUp' program to me. Admittedly, had I known that she had seen it on The View, I might never have looked it up, but I didn't know and when I did look it up, I liked what I saw. 
 
Here is a link I initially found:
 
I ordered it via Scholastic. It wasn't a big investment and I had little to loose. Since then, I continue to use the 'how is your engine running' analogy but have mixed it into the Mind Up curriculum for a far more well rounded program. 
 
I am including a video discussing the reasons and benefits of the Mind Up program. It took me a while to get past the fact that it was Goldie Hawn who started it all - keep looking and you will find a program that has lots to offer. 
 

What have we done in the classroom so far? My senior kindergarten students have learned that the pre-frontal cortex can also be known as the wise leader as it is important in making wise decisions/choices. They have also learned that the amygdala is the 'security guard'. For example, if we are scared the amygdala might tell us to run (in order to stay safe) or to stay still and of course, perceived threats are blocked by the amygdala. We are still learning about the role of the hippocampus, the memory keeper, like a scrapbook in your brain. We have looked at pictures of an old brain scan (my sisters from the early 80's when she was suffering from migraines) and worked at finding the pre-frontal cortex (we think we did!), the amygdala (they claim they can see it), and the hippocampus.  
 
 
 
We begin most days with a few simple deep breathing excercises, to calm our bodies and minds and prepare ourselves for careful, mindful listening and optimal learning. I even purchased a Tibetan singing bowl (oh, I love the sound) to help focus attention on our breathing. I like that our students are learning to identify when their 'engines' are running too slow or fast, and that there are many strategies one can use to regulate our own engines so that they can run optimally, but I especially like that they are learning about their brains and why they respond in the way they do, and what part of their brains they are activating. They all know what part of brain 'Dad' is using when he shouts at another driver and they know why he cannot make a better decision in that moment. And they are learning to just 'breathe' as a means to gain more self control and make wiser decisions. 
 



Self-regulation has always been an important topic in early education, so I admit that when I started along this path, I had not realized what a hot topic this had become.  I hadn't even connected the word 'mindful' to the idea of self-regulation.

Our young children are exposed to way more than I ever was. Expectations are more, the way we work is more, and the world we live in has way more (of everything), so it is essential we give our children the tools to deal with the challenges they will face.

I look forward to our next lessons where we will...

1. Play WHAT'S MY ROLE?
I am going to ask questions such as "this part of the brain helps us to remember friends' names"...

2. Teach counting down as a way to reflect rather than react. "The self imposed time out allows the amygdala to pass signals to the pre-frontal cortex."

3. I am going to ask children to draw a picture of a time when they felt afraid and discuss what they understand is happening in their own brain.

4. I am going to use a large clear bottle filled with water and glitter so that I can model what happens in brain that is scared or worried and what happens when it is allowed to calm down. 

I hope I get to share more with you about the MindUp curriculum and how it is working in my classroom in upcoming postings. I have my fingers crossed that my students will remain interested and continue to gain understanding about themselves and become more mindful in their responses, interactions, and reflections.

In the meantime, JUST BREATHE.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment