Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Young children NEED to move to learn.

Teachers work hard to keep students engaged in learning. Props, manipulatives or even 'surprise' bags with materials hidden inside are just a few strategies I use to create interest and to help maintain attention in a classroom of young students. Supporting the growth of children's attention spans by finding ways to keep them engaged has always been a classroom goal.


Over the years I have learned a tremendous amount about developing young children's attention spans and especially regarding the development of listening skills. It has been a challenging lesson, one which is often at odds with what I learned during my practicum and from every day life experiences: Just because a child isn't looking doesn't mean they aren't listening, and just because a child is wiggling doesn't mean they aren't engaged.

At a recent trip to a movie theatre, (my nephew and I saw 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'), I periodically looked away from the screen and took a look around the theatre. What did I see? People appeared engaged and actively listening, but few were sitting still. One person was jiggling his leg, someone else was rocking back and forth in the big theatre style seat. Others moshed on popcorn and more seemed to change sitting positions often. It was very apparent that there was a lot of movement for a group who were supposed to be listening.

In my classroom, I have a 'fidget basket' for children who need to have something to do so that they can listen. I admit, I continue to work on finding ways to use the materials in the basket without interrupting the attention of others, but I know that children need to be allowed to move. 

I read several education related books this summer (and lots of poolside fiction too!) One of the books I read is called 'Spark: New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey.

"Learning and memory evolved in concert with
the motor functions that allowed our ancestors to track down
food. So far as our brains are concerned, if we're not moving,
there's no real need to learn anything."

I think that say's it all. We need to move to learn. At e.p.i.c. School, our day begins with assembly. Even though there is listening, there is also active participation and movement incorporated into the beginning of the school day. The idea is to wake children up, rev their bodies and get everyone ready for active learning.


"Exercise improves alertness, attention and motivation and is brain food, 
stimulating newer cells in the hippocampus."

Physical breaks during circle time provide a great opportunity to keep children engaged because they aren't sitting too long. When giving children the chance to move, I love to incorporate smart moves such as touching an elbow to the opposite knee, which helps with organization as well. 

Last year, while working at a literacy fair, I met a teacher who worked with children with reading disabilities and he was adamant that children needed to sit still and be quiet in order to learn. I can only wonder how much better those students would have done had they had a teacher who gave them movement breaks, who incorporated movement into their learning activities and respected that they needed to move in order to learn? Perhaps I will meet up with him again this year, and just maybe, with a bit more science-based information in my back pocket, I can convince him to allow his students to move.










No comments:

Post a Comment